The Institute for Higher Living or the Institute is an underground laboratory where the Flock finds files about their past and parents. It is located in the sewers of New York. They also free a bunch of mutants there, leading to "the second Flock," headed by a girl with wings. The Flock infiltrates it during The Angel Experiment. The Institute is associated with the School and Itexicon.It is a real Institute in springfield illinois.
- The "second Flock" is never heard from again.
- The Flock looks a little bit at the files that they stole regarding information about their pasts. This information is mentioned a little in the second book, and then not heard of again afterwards.
- Max does not receive any files. Fang learns that his mother was a teenager and doesn't know who his dad is, although his mother thinks that he is dead. Iggy finds his parents who think he is dead and he goes to live with them only to discover that they are attention lovers and attempt to make money off of Iggy. So Iggy returns to the Flock. Nudge's parents are believed to be in Arizona but think that she is dead. Angel learned beforehand from the thoughts of some white coats, that she and Gasman's parents had sold them to the School for money. It is interesting to note, that all the files have photographs in them, and the flock can see what their parents looked like. A picture of Gazzy and his mom keep popping up in Saving the World and Other Extreme Sports.
- In ANGEL, Max mentions that Maya was "liberated from her cage in New York," which leads to the theory that she was the girl leading the "second Flock."
- In the hardcover edition of the first book, a blog about Fang and Nudge scouting Washington D.C. before the rest of the Flock goes, reveals that there is a similar institute called The Institute of Higher Aeronautics. This is the place that they find Erasers showing where the flying ones in the second book originated from.